As a homeowner in Florida, you understand the importance of homeowners insurance. It shields you and your family from potential losses due to property damage and personal liability. But a crucial aspect might not be on your radar—coverage for injuries sustained by contractors or workers on your property. 

This topic has caused confusion for many homeowners, especially those who have undergone home renovation projects or other construction work. So, does homeowners insurance cover contractor injury

In this blog, we’ll answer this question. We’ll also discuss what you need to know about the different types of coverage available to you and your contractor. 

At The Gordon Agency, we believe in a personalized approach to homeowners insurance in Boca Raton. Our Boca Raton insurance agents are here to analyze your situation to ensure you’re protected if a contractor is injured on your property. We’ve got you covered!

Understanding the Basics of Homeowners Insurance

A standard homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover the costs of repairs or replacement of your home and personal belongings in the event of damage or loss. 

Homeowners insurance policies also typically include liability coverage, which means that if someone is injured on your property, your insurance can help cover the costs of their medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. 

But if a contractor is injured while working on your property due to their own negligence or carelessness, your insurance may not provide coverage. However, liability can come into play if it’s determined you negligently caused or contributed to the accident. 

For example, if you failed to repair visible defects or warn workers about known risks on your property, and an injury results from this, the contractor could make a claim against your homeowners insurance.

This is why it’s essential to be aware of the limits to the coverage provided by your policy. These limits depend on your individual policy, and understanding them is critical to ensure you have sufficient coverage in case someone is injured on your property. 

Here’s a helpful link from the Insurance Information Institute explaining what a standard homeowners policy covers.

Contractor Liability Insurance

It’s common practice for contractors and subcontractors to carry their own liability insurance policies. This is because they often work on multiple job sites and must protect themselves from potential legal liability. 

These policies typically cover the contractor’s employees and any subcontractors they hire and injuries to third parties. If a contractor is injured on your property and they have their own liability insurance coverage, you may not be personally liable for their medical expenses and other costs.

Remember, hiring a licensed contractor with their own insurance can limit your personal liability for injuries. Conversely, if you hire an unlicensed contractor or independent handyman, you may technically be seen as the employer, making you financially liable if they suffer an injury. 

For more information, read this helpful article, “3 Reasons it is Important to Hire a Licensed and Bonded Contractor.”

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

In Florida, contractors with employees must carry workers’ compensation insurance. The specific coverage obligations of employers are determined by factors such as the industry they operate in, the number of personnel on their payroll, and the structure of their business entity. This insurance covers medical expenses and lost wages if an employee is injured on the job. 

If a contractor is injured while working on your property and has workers’ compensation insurance, their policy would typically cover their medical expenses and other related costs.

For more information, visit the Florida Division of Workers’ Compensation website. 

What Types of Coverage Should You Consider?

If you plan to hire contractors or other workers to work on your property, it’s essential to consider other types of insurance coverage to protect yourself from liability issues. 

For example, purchase additional liability insurance or umbrella insurance that can provide extra protection beyond what is included in your homeowners insurance policy. 

Depending on your property, some contractors may require you to purchase builder’s risk insurance, which can help cover damages and losses that occur during construction or renovation projects.

How Can You Protect Yourself and Your Home?

To protect yourself and your home from liability issues related to contractor injuries or other accidents, you must take a proactive approach before beginning construction or renovation projects. 

This might include verifying that your contractor has the proper insurance coverage, providing a safe working environment, and keeping your property free from hazards or dangerous conditions.

It’s also a good idea to talk to your Boca Raton insurance agent to review your existing coverage and discuss any additional types of insurance that may be necessary to protect against potential liability issues. 

What Should You Do if a Contractor is Injured on Your Property?

If a contractor or worker is injured while working on your property, taking immediate action is critical to ensure they receive the medical attention they need. This may include calling 911 or taking them to the nearest emergency room, depending on the severity of their injuries.

You should also notify your insurance carrier as soon as possible and document the incident with photographs or written statements from witnesses. 

Your insurance carrier can help guide you through the claims process and provide information about what types of coverage may be available to you.

Summing It All Up

Does homeowners insurance cover contractor injury? The answer is – it depends. While homeowners insurance may provide some coverage for injuries sustained by contractors or other workers on your property, it’s essential to understand the limitations of this coverage and consider additional types of insurance to protect against potential liability issues.

By taking a proactive approach and working closely with your insurance carrier and contractors, you can feel confident that you are doing everything possible to protect your home and finances. 

It’s always crucial to understand your policy limits, know the importance of hiring licensed contractors with their own insurance, and consider getting extra liability insurance for added protection.

The Gordon Agency: Your Insurance Ally in Boca Raton, FL

Just as your home needs regular maintenance, so does your homeowners insurance policy. Regular reviews with reputable insurance agencies in Boca Raton, FL, like The Gordon Agency, are essential to ensure your policy continues to meet your needs.

Over time, you may undertake more substantial home improvement projects, or the value of your property might increase — both scenarios that may require additional insurance coverage.

Also, insurance carriers sometimes update their policy terms. Regular check-ins with your Boca Raton insurance agent can help you stay aware of any changes that might impact your coverage and ensure your policy continues to offer the protection you need.

Contact the experienced and licensed insurance agents at The Gordon Agency today at (561) 988-3330 or complete our online form to review your homeowners policy to ensure you’re protected if a contractor is injured on your property. 

We have access to a broad network of highly-rated insurance carriers if you need additional coverage. We’ll find you the coverage you need for a price you can afford. We’ve got you covered!

Copyright© 2023. The Gordon Agency Inc. All rights reserved.

The Gordon Agency Inc.
1825 NW Corporate Blvd Ste 110
Boca Raton, FL 33431
(561) 988-3330