Driving at night is more dangerous than driving during daylight since we can’t see the road ahead as well in the dark. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you are three times more likely to have a fatal accident at night compared with the daytime. It is essential to stay extra vigilant while driving at night.
Follow These Tips to Stay Safe While Driving at Night:
- Drive Sober – Never get behind a wheel after drinking. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that fatal crashes involving alcohol are close to four times higher at night than during the day.
- Do Not Drive if You are Tired or Drowsy – Driving drowsy is more likely to cause a crash between midnight and 6 A.M. Drink some coffee, pull over to rest, or stop for the night and continue driving in the morning.
- Have a Clear Windshield – A clear windshield increases your visibility and reduces glare. Clean your headlight and windshields regularly.
- Avoid Two-Lane Highways – Two-lane highways are notorious for nighttime glare due to oncoming car’s headlights, lower light, and sharp curves in the road. It is wiser to take a safer route in the dark.
- Do Not Speed – 37 percent of nighttime-driving fatalities occur because of speeding compared with 21 percent during the day. Reduce your speed and take your visibility into account.
- Use High Beams When Needed – Drivers do not use their high beams enough. High beams can be helpful on open roads. Remember to dim them when you are within 500 feet of a car, so the beams do not blind them.
- Be Sure to Take Care of Your Eyes – Get your vision checked yearly. As we age, glare becomes more problematic. It is crucial that you have the correct prescription to drive in the dark.
- Keep Your Eyes on the Road – Keeping your eyes on the road is rule number one when driving, but avoid a fixed gaze, and never stare directly at the headlights on other cars.
- Adjust Your Indoor Lighting – Adjust your dashboard lights, so they are not too bright and dim the interior lights at night, so all controls are not distracting.
- Test Your Vehicle’s Lights – Test all the lights on your vehicle regularly, such as low beams, high beams, daytime running lights, turn signals, and brake lights. Ensure that your headlights stay visible.
This is the home of Florida’s Insurance Professionals. We are a multi-line independent agency that provides insurance solutions for personal and commercial lines—combining decades of relationship building with motivated licensed insurance agents to offer coverage options for all of your insurance needs. Our team of agents relies on our education, integrity, experience, and attention to detail to accurately assess each opportunity and offer optimal solutions for all of our clients. We are dedicated to matching the right product for every situation, always at the best price available. Call us at 561-988-3330, visit our website or paste our address in your browser https://tgafl.com/.
The Gordon Agency
2101 NW Corporate Blvd Ste. 211
Boca Raton, FL 33431
© Copyright 2021. All Rights Reserved.